This course is the online component to the Foundations Module offered by the Summers School of Yin Yoga. Important: You must take the online course and complete the quiz before attending the live teacher training module.
Please note that this course may be taken standalone as well – even if you are not enrolled in the Summers School of Yin Yoga. It is designed to be a self-contained introductory course for anyone to take.
About This Course:
This online course is one part of the teacher training you’ll be experiencing.
Completing this course will prepare you to arrive at the live training with a solid foundation of the theory and practice covered in each module, allowing us to start at a higher level in our time together in the intensive.
Upon registration, you’ll receive a link that grants you free lifetime access to the online course (a $125 value).
Please note: You will need to complete the online course, including a short quiz, before attending the live teacher training module. Estimated time to complete the online course: 5-7 hrs.
NOTE TO PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS:
Yes, you can take this course too! It’s designed to function as an essential introduction to the concepts and practice of Yin Yoga. It can be taken on its own, giving you a low-risk opportunity to see if this module (or the school) is the right fit for you.
- Theory: Essential Yin Yoga; The Four Principles of Yin Yoga; The Limitations of Movement – Tension and Compression; Connective Tissue and Fascia 101
- Practice: Posture Practice with Tension and Compression Analysis; Full Sequence Practice – Playing, Observing Sensing.
Below is a complete list of all the course lessons. Each lesson contains a video – and throughout the course, you’ll find worksheets and other downloads.
- The Body Sublime: Functional Elements of Yin Yoga
- Yin Yoga 101: What is Yin Yoga?
- First Principle of Yin Yoga: Coming to a Posture and Playing Your Edge
- Second Principle of Yin Yoga: Relaxing the Target Areas
- Third Principle of Yin Yoga: Staying Relatively Still, For Relatively Longer Periods of Time
- Fourth Principle of Yin Yoga: Coming Out of the Pose, Slowly
- What Limits My Movement? Tension and Compression
- Connective Tissue and Fascia 101
- Posture Practice: Feeling Tension and Compression
- Sequence Practice: Playing, Observing, Sensing
- The Body Sublime: Quiz
- Required text (for the live component): Your Body, Your Yoga by Bernie Clark. It’s not necessary to read this before the training, but this will serve as your ongoing reference book.
- Suggested text: The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga by Bernie Clark.
The price of the course is: $49.00.
Or get free lifetime access if you enroll in any 50-hr Yin Yoga Teacher Training Foundations Module offered by the Summers School of Yin Yoga. You will receive an exclusive access code via email after signing up (please allow up to a week for processing).
“The Body Sublime: Functional Elements of Yin Yoga” suggests a comprehensive overview of the practice – and it delivers. Naturally, the course begins with a working definition of Yin Yoga and then advances through some pretty interesting stuff – Connective Tissue, Fascia, Fibroblasts, Extracellular Matrix, Collagen, GAGS, and more. Best of all, Josh (with a demo by Terry), gives us not one – but two solid practices! The Posture Practice is all about the exploration of what we feel and the identification of tension and/or compression. This segment of the course requires a little soul and body searching but is worth the time and effort. The Sequence Practice is rich with take-homes, especially in the “Playing, Observing, Sensing” section. Bottom line – this is not a required study to hurry through and pass the test – but to chew on a bit, take time to digest, and then move forward better-nourished than before.
—L.F. in Vermont (Foundations Student)