Earlier this year, I had the immense – and daunting – pleasure of recording a conversation with one of my favorite people: Robert Wright. As you’ll hear, Bob and I met years ago on his first silent meditation retreat. In my early conversations with him, I quickly recognized he was an intellectual juggernaut. Bob is the best-selling author of The Moral Animal, Nonzero, and, more recently, Why Buddhism is True, as well as the founder of www.meaningoflife.tv and www.bloggingheads.tv.
In our recent conversation, we discuss the relationship between yoga and meditation, and then I prompt Bob to talk about his new project The Mindful Resistance Newsletter. It is an outstanding weekly digest of current events, presented soberly and succinctly. Bob’s intention is to mute the flame of emotional outrage and overcome the divisiveness of tribalism in order to promote real cognitive empathy and more beneficial engagement.
- Bob and Josh recount their first meeting after a silent meditation retreat
- Does yoga always have a spiritual component?
- How Josh’s yoga practice prepares the body for meditation
- How yoga’s focus on breath can lead to the body
- Solutions to modern distraction
- Bob: Mindfulness practice can erode essentialist thinking
- What’s the point of Bob’s Mindful Resistance Project?
- The present and future of the Mindful Resistance Newsletter
Here’s our conversation: