The Foundations of Qi Cultivation
20hr Teacher Training (Module 1)
Josh Summers + Terry Cockburn
“In the past, people practiced the Tao, the Way of Life. They understood the principle of balance, of yin and yang, as represented by the transformation of the energies of the universe. Thus, they formulated practices such as Dao-in, an exercise combining stretching, massaging, and breathing to promote energy flow, and meditation to help maintain and harmonize themselves with the universe.”
– The Yellow Emperor’s Classic on Medicine, transl. Mao Shing Ni
As so clearly articulated in the passage above, the ancients in China understood that our health of body and mind was determined by the quality and circulation of our Qi, or vital energy. This is why they gave so much attention to the intelligent cultivation of this energy.
Gathering Earth | The Foundations of Qi Cultivation | Module 1 (20hr)
Earth – the elemental energy of stability, nourishment and vitality.
Gathering Earth is the foundational module of our NEW Yin Yoga and Qi Cultivation Teacher Training, where you will learn and practice the essential skills for integrating Yin Yoga, Qi Gong and Josh’s acupuncture-based massage protocols.
You will learn the location, function and application of over 20 common acupuncture points and how to bring their influence into your practice and or teaching of Yin Yoga.
Aligned with the stabilizing and nourishing Qi of Earth, you will learn acupuncture-based protocols for practice that help balance the common energetic disharmonies of exhaustion, inflammation, stress, and anxiety.
Traditional Chinese Medicine will provide the map for our journey – illuminating our rivers of energy (channels), our zones of greatest influence (acupuncture points), and our textures of vital energy (Qi).
“I think the training you have created is really amazing. Not having a background in TCM I felt very lost at first and almost gave up – “I can’t learn this until I learn about TCM!” But instead, I listened each day to your discussions and took notes and even just listened to the practices. And then I went back again to re-watch, re-listen and physically participate in the point locations and practices. I found that this second, even third time around I was fully immersed in the information and practice and it landed very strongly. I very much appreciated the repetition and continued explanation that you incorporated into each lesson, really tying all the information, the intention of the point prescriptions, poses and how it all relates back to the operation of the organs based on TCM. It made a totally foreign concept seem familiar, understandable and relatable.
I was also amazed at the sensations created by some of the point prescriptions and, you spoke to this many times, that the sensations arose in all different parts of my body. The use of the quasha stone was incredible – especially Terry’s fascial massage – I absolutely loved that!!
Thank you again for the training you created and the opportunity to join in it. I look forward to incorporating this learning into my practice and the practices I create for my students.”
– Brenna A. (Yin Yoga + Qi Cultivation Student)
Yin Yoga + Qi Cultivation Training Curriculum
You will receive lifetime access to our easy-to-follow self-paced talks, tutorials, practices and downloadable study guides, which include:
- Traditional Chinese Medicine Theory for Yin Yoga
- Location, Function + Application Tutorials for over 20 common Acupuncture Points
- Guided Elemental Qi Gong Practices
- Comprehensive Study Guides to support your Teaching and Practice
- 5 In-Depth Practice Protocols that integrate all elements of The Yin Practice Sublime
“Just a quick note to let you know how much I am enjoying this course. I took the 50 hour TCM course several years ago and was fascinated with the content and recognized it was just scratching the surface.
My learning style responds well to the way the material is presented and delivered. I also appreciate the way you offer suggestions how we can incorporate into our teaching.
Although I will not be able to attend the zoom on Friday, please know it’s not due to lack of interest or enthusiasm. Family obligations warrant my assistance. Thank you for the flexibility with the course.
One last thought to share…Terry’s classes on Qi Gong the past two weeks have captured my heart. As a reiki practitioner, and the strong message of intention shared through your coursework, I have been encouraged to go beyond the physical aspect and enjoy the experience at a much deeper level. Thank you so much!”
– Robin W. (Yin Yoga + Qi Cultivation Student)
Who is this Yin Yoga immersion for?
- This immersion is for any student or practitioner interested in the timeless wisdom of Chinese Medicine and how to practically apply this wisdom towards their holistic health and vitality.
- If you practice or teach Yin Yoga, this training will give you the theoretical and practical knowledge from Traditional Chinese Medicine to add greater breadth and depth to your repertoire of skills.
- Training Prerequisite: basic knowledge and understanding of Yin Yoga – the postures and principles.
Logistics on how this training works.
- This 20hr on-demand training is entirely self-paced. Take as much time as you need to review and integrate the course materials.
- You will have lifetime access to all course videos and materials.
- Training Certificate for 20 CEUs with Yoga Alliance (upon course completion and passing quiz); 20 hours apply to the 100hr Yin Yoga + Qi Cultivation Training.
- Investment: $390 (50% off for sangha members)
- Questions will be responded to and discussed in the Monthly Practice + Discussion session
- Tools for Training: While you could take this training and use only your hands and a tennis ball for the myofascial practices, we strongly recommend that you acquire two of our ABSOLUTE favorite tools for point and channel stimulation:
- Acu-Mobility Balls. We recommend having one (or two) Acu-Mobility Balls LEVEL 1 for this course. The LEVEL 2 balls are harder and closer to a lacrosse ball’s density, making them too hard for our intentions.
- Gua Sha stone. The Gua Sha stone is one of the simplest and most effective tools for supporting harmonious Qi flow.
- Accessing the course: Upon registration, all course materials can be accessed in the “MY COURSES” tab on our website under “Gathering Earth – The Foundations of Qi Cultivation.”
“Just wanted to drop a quick note saying that I especially appreciate the length of these videos. With two kids and lots of limited time, I’m able to squeeze in videos where I can and not feel like I am missing out. The content is very precise and I really love the direction this is all going. It has been a nice refresher from the TCM course (which I took in 2019, just pregnant with my first child), and I appreciate the depth of knowledge being shared. Bravo!”
Tricia C. (Yin Yoga + Qi Cultivation Student)
Meet your teachers, Josh and Terry.
Together, we draw from over five decades of practicing and teaching yoga, functional fitness, acupuncture, and meditation. Our passion is to share creative, accessible and functional approaches to the cultivation of our body, energy and heart.