This course is the online component to the 50-hr Foundations Module offered by the Summers School of Yin Yoga.
This course may be taken standalone as well – it is designed to be a self-contained introductory course for anyone to take.
NOTE: You get free 90-day access to this online course when you enroll in any 50-hr Yin Yoga Teacher Training Foundations Module offered by the Summers School of Yin Yoga.
What's in the Course?
This online course is a comprehensive introduction to the theory and practice of Yin Yoga.
Who Can Take This Course?
For Those Who Are Attending a Live Intensive:
This online course is one part of the teacher training you'll be experiencing – and a unique feature of the Summers School of Yin Yoga. Completing this course will prepare you to arrive at the live training with a solid foundation of the theory and practice covered in each module, allowing us to start at a higher level in our time together in the intensive.
Upon registration, you'll receive a link that grants you 90-day free access to the online course (a $125 value). Please note: You will need to complete the online course, including a short quiz, before attending the live teacher training module. Estimated time to complete the online course: 5-7 hrs.
For Anyone Who Wants to Learn About Yin Yoga:
You don't need to be enrolled in Summers School of Yin Yoga in order to take this online course. It is designed to be a self-contained introduction to the concepts and practice of Yin Yoga. It can be taken on its own, giving you a low-risk opportunity to see if this module (or the school) is the right fit for you.
- Theory: Essential Yin Yoga; The Four Principles of Yin Yoga; The Limitations of Movement - Tension and Compression; Connective Tissue and Fascia 101
- Practice: Posture Practice with Tension and Compression Analysis; Full Sequence Practice - Playing, Observing Sensing.
Below is a complete list of all the course lessons. Each lesson contains a video – and throughout the course, you’ll find worksheets and other downloads.
- Lesson 1: Yin Yoga 101: What is Yin Yoga?
- Lesson 2: First Principle of Yin Yoga: Coming to a Posture and Playing Your Edge
- Lesson 3: Second Principle of Yin Yoga: Relaxing the Target Areas
- Lesson 4: Third Principle of Yin Yoga: Staying Relatively Still, For Relatively Longer Periods of Time
- Lesson 5: Fourth Principle of Yin Yoga: Coming Out of the Pose, Slowly
- Lesson 6: What Limits My Movement? Tension and Compression
- Lesson 7: Connective Tissue and Fascia 101
- Lesson 8: Posture Practice: Feeling Tension and Compression
- Lesson 9: Sequence Practice: Playing, Observing, Sensing
- Required text (for the live component): Your Body, Your Yoga by Bernie Clark. It's not necessary to read this before the training, but this will serve as your ongoing reference book.
- Suggested Text: The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga by Bernie Clark.
The price of the course is: $125.00
Here's what past students have said about this module.
"The Body Sublime: Functional Elements of Yin Yoga" suggests a comprehensive overview of the practice – and it delivers. Naturally, the course begins with a working definition of Yin Yoga and then advances through some pretty interesting stuff – Connective Tissue, Fascia, Fibroblasts, Extracellular Matrix, Collagen, GAGS, and more. Best of all, Josh (with a demo by Terry), gives us not one – but two solid practices! The Posture Practice is all about the exploration of what we feel and the identification of tension and/or compression. This segment of the course requires a little soul and body searching but is worth the time and effort. The Sequence Practice is rich with take-homes, especially in the "Playing, Observing, Sensing" section. Bottom line – this is not a required study to hurry through and pass the test – but to chew on a bit, take time to digest, and then move forward better-nourished than before.
—L.F. in Vermont (Foundations Student)