This course is the online component to the 50-hr Yang Yoga Module offered by the Summers School of Yin Yoga.
This course may be taken standalone as well – it is designed to be a self-contained introductory course for anyone to take.
NOTE: You get free lifetime access to this online course when you enroll in any 50-hr Yin Yoga Teacher Training: Yang Yoga Module offered by the Summers School of Yin Yoga.
What's in the Course?
This online course is a comprehensive introduction to the theory and practice of Yang Yoga.
Who Can Take This Course?
For Those Who Are Attending a Live Intensive:
This online course is one part of the teacher training you'll be experiencing – and a unique feature of the Summers School of Yin Yoga. Completing this course will prepare you to arrive at the live training with a solid foundation of the theory and practice covered in each module, allowing us to start at a higher level in our time together in the intensive. Upon registration, you'll receive a link that grants you free lifetime access to the online course (a $125 value). Please note: You will need to complete the online course, including a short quiz, before attending the live teacher training module. Estimated time to complete the online course: 5-7 hrs (not including the course readings).
For Anyone Who Wants to Learn About Yang Yoga:
You don't need to be enrolled in Summers School of Yin Yoga in order to take this online course. It is designed to be a self-contained introduction to the concepts and practice of Yang Yoga. It can be taken on its own, giving you a low-risk opportunity to see if this module (or the school) is the right fit for you.
- Theory: Intention in Yang Yoga; Tension and Compression; Functional vs. Aesthetic Alignment; Stability and Mobility; The Six Principles of Yang Yoga
- Practice: Yang Lunge Flow Practice; Yin/Yang/Yin Practice
- Quiz: The course ends with a quiz, which you must complete (and pass!) before the live training.
Below is a complete list of all the course lessons. Each lesson contains either an audio lecture or video presentation.
- Introduction: Course Overview
- Intention in Yang Yoga
- Yang Styles and Interpretations
- Tension and Compression
- Functional vs. Aesthetic Alignment
- Stability and Mobility
- The Six Principles of Yang Yoga
- First Principle: Know the Intention of the Pose
- Second Principle: Pay Attention to Your Experience
- Third Principle: Seek Function Over Form
- Fourth Principle: Play the Edge to Generate an Effect
- Fifth Principle: Maintain or Change
- Sixth Principle: Incorporate Variety
- Sequence Practice: Yang Lunge Flow
- Phase One: Intro
- Phase Two: Warm Up
- Phase Three: Rhythm
- Phase Four: Strength
- Phase Five: Mobility
- Phase Six: Connecting (All Five Phases in One Sequence)
- Sequence Practice: The Spinal Rinse and Reset
- Part 1: Yin
- Part 2: Yang
- Part 3: Yin
- The Flow Sublime: Quiz
- Required text: Your Body, Your Yoga by Bernie Clark: Chapters 1, 2 and 3, and "Note to Teachers" Sidebars (noted in the Contents section).
- Suggested text: Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes by Mark Stephens
- Even if you are not attending the training, this book will serve as a wonderful reference.
The price of the course is: $125.00