Silent Meditation and Yin Yoga Retreat in Place
with Josh Summers and Terry Cockburn
December 6-12, 2020
Venue: Your Place
Due to the current restrictions around social distancing and the uncertainty as to when things will return to normal, we have made the decision to reformat our two retreats this year to one online retreat experience, which we are calling The Retreat in Place. You can retreat with us from the safety of your home.
While we will deeply miss seeing you all for these live experiences this year, we are confident this new format will serve as the ideal support and momentum for your practice, especially now.
Here’s how the Retreat in Place will work:
- The Retreat in Place will be held from December 6-12, 2020 over Zoom. While teaching, instructions, dharma talks, and yoga practice will require your presence online, there will be periods of time during the day to practice independently offline.
- With a few adjustments, we will follow the same schedule as though we were together in person. Our virtual days together will consist of sitting in meditation, instructions, group Q&A, yoga practice, evening dharma talks, and small group meetings with Josh to discuss your practice.
- Please Note: The Retreat will will begin in the early evening of December 6th and end mid-morning on December 12th. The daily schedule from December 6-12 will be from 6am to 9pm ET. Europeans who attend this retreat will be permitted to end their day before or after the afternoon Yin class, but they will receive recordings of the Yin class and Dharma Talk which they will be expected to listen to prior to rejoining the retreat schedule the following day. (more information will be provided upon registering).
- The total cost of this offering is reduced to $999.
- For anyone who has paid a deposit of $550, your remaining balance will be $449 (due November 29, 2020).
- For anyone in the 300hr certification track, this offering will count toward 70hrs of your certification requirement.
While this seven-day, six-night silent meditation retreat will take place in your home, we are committed to offering you the support and structure needed to create a safe and transformative retreat experience for cultivating greater presence, calm, clarity, and insight.
The Retreat immersion allows students to clarify and know directly in their own experience the transformative potential of meditation and Yin Yoga.
- On Environment – As you will be ‘on retreat’ from your home, this provides an excellent opportunity to integrate your meditation practice within your everyday life. You will have time to prepare and eat simple meals, to do your basic chores and to interact with those you live with. That said, the majority of your day will be spent in intensive meditation. We recommend that for the duration of the retreat you set aside a secluded place to practice in. This secluded spot should be a space that won’t be interrupted by other members of your household. Additionally, we recommend taking a ‘technology fast’ during the retreat. Time away from smart phones and email is a powerful tool for the development of presence and insight. More will be said on this at the orientation.
- On Simplicity – The schedule of The Retreat will move between periods of sitting and walking meditation, eating meditation, Yin Yoga practice and some daily activities. Students on retreat are encouraged to step outside of their normal habits of distraction (online, phone, computers, etc.) and cultivate a presence to be with themselves and their experience.
- On Style – The style of meditation emphasized on The Retreat is a Yin approach to Insight Meditation. This approach emphasizes receptivity and interest towards the totality of your experience while meditating with the intention to cultivate greater capacities for calm, clarity and connection.
- On Journaling – Another feature of this approach to Insight Meditation is that after each meditation there is a period of time to reflectively journal about your experience as a way to further develop understanding and insight into your practice.
- As with all Modules, the Retreat can be taken by anyone with a strong interest to explore their practice of Yin Yoga and meditation. For students in the 300hr track, the Retreat counts as 70hrs within their training curriculum.
- We welcome any student with a sincere interest in developing greater tranquility and wisdom to join.
|7:00am – 7:45am||Sitting/Journal|
|8:00am – 9:30am||Breakfast and Chores|
|9:45am – 11:00am||Instruction/Q&A. Sitting/Journal|
|11:00am – 11:45am||Walking|
|11:45am – 12:30pm||Sitting/Journal|
|12:30pm – 2:30pm||Lunch/Rest|
|2:00pm – 3:30pm||Small Group Discussions (for half)|
|2:30pm – 3:15pm||Sitting (for half)|
|3:30pm – 5:30pm||Yin Yoga|
|6:00pm – 7:30pm||Dinner|
|7:30pm – 8:15pm||Dharma Talk *bell|
|8:30pm – 9:00pm||Sitting/Journal|
Payment and Refund Policy
Reduced Price: $999 / Deposit required to hold your spot: $550
- Scholarship support available: We are now able to offer Pandemic Assisted Spiritual Support (PASS), please email firstname.lastname@example.org for PASS application.
Cancellation Policy for Retreats:
- The Deposit secures your spot. The Deposit is non-refundable, and goes towards your Registration Fee.
- The Balance of the Registration Fee is due approximately 90 days before the live training begins.
- A cancellation of MORE THAN 60 DAYS notice will receive the full Balance refunded.
- A cancellation of LESS THAN 60 DAYS notice will receive the full Balance refunded IF AND ONLY IF you or studio finds a replacement for your spot.
Upon registering, you will receive a letter detailing all the necessary information, and frequently asked questions.
Please note: Students enrolled in the Summers School of Yin Yoga will receive 70 hrs of Retreat credit for attending.
For questions: Please email us using the form below.
About Your Teachers:
Together, Josh and Terry have nearly 40 years of teaching experience and are committed to their ongoing learning and development.