Writing and Remembering on the Path to Wisdom
24-29 October, 2017 Bethel Farm, Hillsborough, New Hampshire
About the Retreat Center | To register, please contact Josh below
This is a five-night, six-day silent meditation retreat in southern New Hampshire. Removed from the pressures of daily life a retreat experience provides a safe and secure environment to explore one’s inner and outer landscape, cultivating tools of wisdom and compassion.
On silence: The intention behind silence is to simplify one’s environment and promote exploration of one’s inner-world. During this retreat there will be opportunity for discussion (during scheduled periods), but for most of the day – from the time of waking until bed, including mealtimes – retreat participants will be asked to observe a code of Noble Silence, under which each participant offers to others the gift and opportunity to come to stillness and reflection within themselves.
Schedule: The daily schedule will include sessions of seated meditation, walking meditation, reflective writing, discussion and a daily session of Yin Yoga. Please note: this is a gentle, but intensive, retreat. It is not a ‘yoga holiday’ retreat. We will wake at 6am and endeavor to cultivate mindfulness through each and every activity of the daily schedule until retiring at 9pm.
The Retreat Theme:
Often in our yoga and meditation practice there is an implicit bias against thinking. We compare our thinking mind to a wild monkey on amphetamines, swinging anxiously from thought to thought. We try to NOT be lost in thought. We try to focus on our body and breath.
But in practice, we don’t need to be at war with our minds. In fact, we can engage with our thoughts in more skillful ways that serve our development of peace and wisdom.
In this retreat, we will use the quiet practices of meditation and Yin Yoga, followed by reflective writing, to shed light on experience, to learn from that experience, and to promote an onward cultivation of wisdom and compassion.
Appropriate for beginners, experienced meditators, and people who think!
About Bethel Farm:
- A small yoga and living arts center in the middle of the woods used primarily for contemplative arts – the silence is palpable.
- We will be the only group onsite for most of the retreat – time for yoga, walks, optional sauna and massage.
- All vegan food, much of which is grown onsite and seasonally prepared by the hosts. (There is a refrigerator to store supplemental vegetarian foods that you may wish to bring, ie. yogurt, cheese, eggs).
- Accommodations: There are no single rooms at this retreat center; three double rooms, two dorm style rooms with single beds (10 and 5 beds), and six tent platforms are available.
Payment and Refund Policy:
The Retreat Fee includes shared accommodation, three vegetarian meals per day, meditation, and yoga instruction. There are two tiers to the Retreat Fee, based on the accommodations:
- Shared Dorm accommodation: $750
- Shared Double accommodation: $1100
Please note: The fee for the teachers is included in this total. Space is limited; full payment secures your spot.
- Cancellations before 1 September 2017: We will refund 75% of your fee.
- Cancellations after 1 September 2017: We will refund 75% of your fee, only if we (you or I) are able to find a replacement for your spot.
Upon registering, you will receive a letter detailing arrival/departure information, transfers, and frequently asked questions.
Please note: Students enrolled in the Summer School of Yin Yoga will receive 70hrs of Retreat credit for attending this retreat.
To register, please email Josh using the form below.