Silent Meditation and Yin Yoga Retreat
with Josh Summers, assisted by Terry Cockburn
December 1 – 7, 2019
Venue: Angels’ Rest Retreat Center, Leyden, MA
This is a seven-day, six-night silent meditation retreat. Unplugged and removed from the pressures of daily life, a retreat experience provides a safe and secure environment to explore one’s inner and outer landscape, cultivating tools of wisdom and compassion.
- The Retreat immersion allows students to clarify and know directly, in their own experience, the transformative potential of these teachings and practices.
- On Silence – although The Retreat is a silent retreat, there will be time throughout the schedule for instruction and discussion around one’s practice. Think of the silence as a generalized commitment to quietude which promotes an ongoing investigation of one’s internal and external experience.
- On Simplicity – the schedule of The Retreat will move between periods of sitting meditation, walking meditation, and Yin Yoga practice. Students on retreat are encouraged to step outside of their normal habits – particularly habits of distraction (online, phone, computers, etc.) and cultivate a presence to be with themselves and their experience.
- On Style – the style of meditation emphasized in The Retreat is a Yin approach to Insight Meditation. This approach emphasizes receptivity and interest towards the totality of your experience while meditating. This is a meditative process that cultivates a creative approach to your own path in life.
- On Journaling – another feature of this approach to Insight Meditation is that after each meditation, there is a period of time to reflectively journal about your experience as a way to further develop understanding and insight into your practice.
- As with all Modules offer by the Summers School of Yin Yoga, The Retreat can be taken by anyone with a strong interest in exploring their practice of Yin Yoga and meditation within this environment.
- Recommended, but not required, for those enrolled in the Summers School of Yin Yoga that the Mindfulness Module be taken prior to attending The Retreat.
The Retreat Theme
Often in our yoga and meditation practice there is an implicit bias against thinking. We compare our thinking mind to a wild monkey on amphetamines, swinging anxiously from thought to thought. We try to NOT be lost in thought. We try to focus on our body and breath.
But in practice, we don’t need to be at war with our minds. In fact, we can engage with our thoughts in more skillful ways that serve our development of peace and wisdom.
In this retreat, we will use the quiet practices of meditation and Yin Yoga, followed by reflective writing, to shed light on experience, to learn from that experience, and to promote an onward cultivation of wisdom and compassion.
Appropriate for beginners as well as experienced meditators.
The daily schedule will include sessions of seated meditation, walking meditation, reflective writing, discussion and a daily session of Yin Yoga. Please note: This is a gentle, but intensive, retreat. It is not a “yoga holiday” with large periods of unscheduled time. We will wake at 6 am and endeavor to cultivate mindfulness through each and every activity of the daily schedule until retiring at 9:00pm.
|6:00am||Wake Up *bell|
|6:30am – 7:00am||Walking *bell|
|7:00am – 7:45am||Sitting/Journal|
|8:00am – 9:00am||Breakfast|
|9:00am – 9:30am||Work Period|
|9:45 am – 11:00am||Instruction/Q&A. Sitting/Journal *bell|
|11:00am – 11:45am||Walking|
|11:45am – 12:30pm||Sitting/Journal *bell|
|1:00 – 2:00pm||Lunch|
|2:15pm – 3:15pm||Small Group Discussions (for half)|
|2:30pm – 3:00pm||Sitting/Journal (for half) *bell|
|3:00pm – 3:30pm||Walking or Journal|
|3:30pm – 4:00pm||Sitting/Journal *bell|
|4:15pm – 6:15pm||Yin Yoga|
|6:30pm – 7:15pm||Dinner|
|7:30pm – 8:15pm||Dharma Talk *bell|
|8:30pm – 9:00pm||Sitting/Journal|
Experience the pristine beauty in the foothills of Western Massachusetts at Angels’ Rest Retreat Center in Leyden, Massachusetts. Located on 19 acres of private woodlands and meadows, the elevation of Angels’ Rest offers breathtaking and far-reaching views of mountains to the East and South. The center is warm, bright, and comfortable – the ideal setting for a peaceful and nourishing week. Vegetarian meals are locally sourced and dietary preferences can be made upon request.
Accommodations: There are no single rooms at this retreat center. All rooms are double, triple, or quadruple occupancy, and are on a first come/first serve basis.
Payment and Refund Policy
The Retreat fee includes shared accommodation, three vegetarian meals per day, meditation, and yoga instruction.
Receive the Early Bird Rate of $1,560 by securing a non-refundable 25% deposit by July 15, 2019.
Thereafter, the price increases to $1,715, and space is secured with a non-refundable 25% deposit.
Balance is due October 15, 2019.
Cancellations after November 1, 2019: We will refund 75% of your fee, only if we (you or I) are able to find a replacement for your spot. All Registration Fees are NON-transferable.
Upon registering, you will receive a letter detailing arrival/departure information, and frequently asked questions. Please let us know at this time if you are traveling with a partner/friend and would like to be placed in a room together. We will do our best to honor such requests.
Please note: Students enrolled in the Summers School of Yin Yoga will receive 70 hours of Retreat credit for attending.
About Your Teachers:
Together, Josh and Terry have nearly 40 years of teaching experience and are committed to their ongoing learning and development.