Silent Meditation and Yin Yoga Retreat
with Josh Summers and Terry Cockburn
September 14–20, 2020
Venue: Mountain Retreat Center, Bavaria, Germany
This tranquil setting in the foothills of the Alps provides breathtaking views, fresh air, and an ideal environment for peaceful reflection. The Mountain Retreat Center is located in the small Bavarian village of Sachrang, at the border of Tyrol and Austria. The grounds will be exclusive to our group, with plenty of places for walking and quiet contemplation. All meals are vegetarian, with a touch of Ayurvedic inspiration. Dietary preferences can be made upon request.
This is a seven-day, six-night silent meditation retreat. Unplugged and removed from the pressures of daily life, a retreat experience provides a safe and secure environment to explore one’s inner and outer landscape, cultivating tools of wisdom and compassion.
The Retreat immersion allows students to clarify and know directly in their own experience the transformative potential of these teachings and practices.
- On Silence – Although The Retreat is a silent retreat, there will be time throughout the schedule for instruction and discussion around one’s practice. Think of the silence as a generalized commitment to quietude which promotes an ongoing investigation of one’s internal and external landscape. Scheduled discussions during the day will help promote that exploration.
- On Simplicity – The schedule of The Retreat will move between periods of sitting meditation and Yin Yoga practice. Short breaks are also included. But students on retreat are encouraged to step outside of their normal habits of distraction (online, phone, computers, etc.) and cultivate a presence to be with themselves and their experience.
- On Style – The style of meditation emphasized on The Retreat is a Yin approach to Insight Meditation. This approach emphasizes receptivity and interest towards the totality of your experience while meditating. This is a meditative process that cultivates a creative approach to your own path in life.
- On Journaling – Another feature of this approach to Insight Meditation is that after each meditation there is a period of time to reflectively journal about your experience as a way to further develop understanding and insight into your practice.
- As with all Modules, the Retreat can be taken by anyone with a strong interest to explore their practice of Yin Yoga and meditation within this environment.
- Recommended, but not required: Mindfulness Teacher Training Module. To be taken prior to attending The Retreat (for those enrolled in the Summers School of Yin Yoga).
The Retreat Theme:
Often in our yoga and meditation practice, there is an implicit bias against thinking. We compare our thinking mind to a wild monkey on amphetamines, swinging anxiously from thought to thought. We try to NOT be lost in thought. We try to focus on our body and breath.
But in practice, we don’t need to be at war with our minds. In fact, we can engage with our thoughts in more skillful ways that serve our development of peace and wisdom.
In this retreat, we will use the quiet practices of meditation and Yin Yoga, followed by reflective writing, to shed light on experience, to learn from that experience, and to promote an onward cultivation of wisdom and compassion.
Appropriate for beginners as well as experienced meditators.
The daily schedule will include sessions of seated meditation, walking meditation, reflective writing, discussion and a daily session of Yin Yoga. Please note: This is a gentle, but intensive, retreat. It is not a “yoga holiday” retreat with large periods of unscheduled time. We will wake at 6 am and endeavor to cultivate mindfulness through each and every activity of the daily schedule until retiring at 9:00pm.
|6:00am||Wake Up 🙂|
|6:30am – 7:15am||Meditation / Journal|
|7:30am – 8:30am||Breakfast|
|9:00am – 10:30am||Dharma Talk / Meditation / Journal|
|10:45am – 12:00pm||Q&A/ Discussion / Meditation / Journal|
|12:00pm – 1:00pm||Lunch|
|1:30pm – 2:30pm||Interview Group|
|2:45pm – 3:30pm||Meditation / Journal|
|4:00pm – 5:45pm||Yin Yoga|
|6:00pm – 7:00pm||Dinner|
|7:30pm – 8:00pm||Dharma Talk / Discussion|
|8:15pm – 9:00pm||Meditation / Journal|
There are single and double room options. Room options are limited, and all are on a first come/first serve basis.
Payment and Refund Policy:
The Registration fee includes accommodation, three meals per day (dinner only on arrival day/breakfast only on departure day), meditation, and yoga instruction.
Early Bird Rates if deposit is received by April 14, 2020.
Single: $2,340 USD
Double: $1,860 USD
Thereafter, the prices increase as follows:
Single: $2,580 USD
Double: $2,100 USD
Your space is secured with this non-refundable deposit.
Balance is due June 14, 2020.
Cancellations after July 16, 2020: We will refund the full Balance (i.e. NOT the Deposit), only if you or I are able to find a replacement for your spot.
Please note: Students enrolled in the Summers School of Yin Yoga will receive 70hrs of Retreat credit for attending.
For questions: Please email Josh using the form below.
About Your Teachers:
Together, Josh and Terry have nearly 40 years of teaching experience and are committed to their ongoing learning and development.