Silent Meditation and Yin Yoga Retreat
with Josh Summers, assisted by Terry Cockburn
September 16–22, 2019
Venue: Granada Retreat Center, Granada, Spain
Nestled in the Sierra Elvira mountain range, this rural, tranquil setting in Southern Spain is the ideal environment for a week of peace and reflection. The grounds will be exclusive to our group, featuring a seasonal swimming pool, terrace, and gardens for walking and quiet contemplation. Traditional Spanish fare is prepared by the hosts with a great deal of care and attention, and dietary preferences can be made upon request.
This is a seven-day, six-night silent meditation retreat. Unplugged and removed from the pressures of daily life a retreat experience provides a safe and secure environment to explore one’s inner and outer landscape, cultivating tools of wisdom and compassion.
The Retreat immersion allows students to clarify and know directly in their own experience the transformative potential of these teachings and practices.
- On Silence – Although The Retreat is a silent retreat, there will be time throughout the schedule for instruction and discussion around one’s practice. Think of the silence as a generalized commitment to quietude which promotes an ongoing investigation of one’s internal and external landscape. Scheduled discussions during the day will help promote that exploration.
- On Simplicity – The schedule of The Retreat will move between periods of sitting meditation and Yin Yoga practice. Short breaks are also included. But students on retreat are encouraged to step outside of their normal habits of distraction (on-line, phone, computers, etc.) and cultivate a presence to be with themselves and their experience.
- On Style – The style of meditation emphasized on The Retreat is a Yin approach to Insight Meditation. This approach emphasizes receptivity and interest towards the totality of your experience while meditating. This is a meditative process that cultivates a creative approach to your own path in life.
- On Journaling – Another feature of this approach to Insight Meditation is that after each meditation there is a period of time to reflectively journal about your experience as a way to further develop understanding and insight into your practice.
- As with all Modules, the Retreat can be taken by anyone with a strong interest to explore their practice of Yin Yoga and meditation within this environment.
- Recommended, but not required: Mindfulness Teacher Training Module. To be taken prior to attending The Retreat (for those enrolled in the Summers School of Yin Yoga).
The Retreat Theme:
Often in our yoga and meditation practice, there is an implicit bias against thinking. We compare our thinking mind to a wild monkey on amphetamines, swinging anxiously from thought to thought. We try to NOT be lost in thought. We try to focus on our body and breath.
In this retreat, we will use the quiet practices of meditation and Yin Yoga, followed by reflective writing, to shed light on experience, to learn from that experience, and to promote an onward cultivation of wisdom and compassion.
Appropriate for beginners as well as experienced meditators.
The daily schedule will include sessions of seated meditation, walking meditation, reflective writing, discussion and a daily session of Yin Yoga. Please note: This is a gentle, but intensive, retreat. It is not a ‘yoga holiday’ retreat with large periods of unscheduled time. We will wake at 6 am and endeavor to cultivate mindfulness through each and every activity of the daily schedule until retiring at 9:00pm.
6:00am Wake Up 🙂
7:30am – 8:30am Breakfast
9:00am – 10:30am Dharma Talk/Meditation/Journal
10:45am – 12:00pm Q and A/Discussion /Meditation/Journal
12:00pm – 1:00pm Lunch
1:30pm – 2:30pm Interview Group
2:45pm – 3:30pm Meditation/Journal
4:00pm – 5:45pm Yin Yoga
6:00pm – 7:00pm Dinner
7:30pm – 8:00pm Dharma Talk / Discussion
8:15pm – 9:00pm Meditation/Journal
There are single, double, and shared (triple/quad/dorm) room options. Room options are limited, and all are on a first come/first serve basis.
Payment and Refund Policy:
The Retreat fee includes accommodation, three meals per day, meditation, and yoga instruction.
Early Bird Rates if 25% deposit is received by April 30, 2019.
Shared (triple/quad/dorm): $1,450
Thereafter, the prices increase as follows:
Shared (triple/quad/dorm): $1,690
Space is secured with a non-refundable 25% deposit.
Balance is due June 15, 2019.
Cancellations after June 15, 2019: We will refund 75% of your fee, only if we (you or I) are able to find a replacement for your spot. All Registration Fees are NON-transferable.
Please note: Students enrolled in the Summers School of Yin Yoga will receive 70hrs of Retreat credit for attending.
For questions: Please email Josh using the form below.
About your teachers:
Josh Summers is a Yin Yoga teacher, a licensed acupuncturist, and a meditation instructor. He is the founder of the Summers School of Yin Yoga and host of the Everyday Sublime podcast.
Terry Cockburn teaches Yin and Vinyasa yoga and is the owner of two yoga studios in the State of Maine. She is a marathon runner and lead trainer in the Summers School of Yin Yoga.
Together, Josh and Terry have nearly 40 years of teaching experience and are committed to their ongoing learning and development.