In this episode, I offer some mid-year reflections on designing a better relationship with the digital devices that are ever-present in our lives. I also introduce the work of Matthew Remski, who will join me as a guest in the next episode for the first of an in-depth series on abuse and healing in the yoga world.
Josh’s 4-part Digital Strategy:
- Operations Protocol: Develop a clear protocol of use for your digital life. Avoid vague injunctions like “Email less.” Favor specificity: “Email at 10am and 4pm.”
- Reconnect the Cord: Design a specific tech space in your home where you will engage with all things digital, but let the rest of your home remain free of screens.
- Review and Renew: Once a week, review and renew your commitments in your Operations Protocol.
- Replace: Make sure to consciously take up old-school analog activities that bring joy – hike, play music, read real books, sit on the porch, and look at trees. When you remove digital distractions, you’ll want to replace those distractions with good analog alternatives.
Links from the Episode
- Practice and All is Coming, Abuse, Cult Dynamics, and Healing in Yoga and Beyond by Matthew Remski.
- Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World by Cal Newport
- How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy by Jenny Odell
- Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard by Chip and Dan Heath
As I mentioned in the episode, I’ve got my 2020 calendar posted. I would love for you to join me at one of my upcoming trainings. See yinyogaschool.com for the full schedule.